[Xen-devel] Clarification

To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Clarification
From: jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:56:11 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:56:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I hate to clutter the dev list with this question but am having a hard time finding a concrete answer to it.

Which is faster PV or HVM and why.

It seems easy but I keep running into conflicting discussions.

I am thinking that they are not that far apart but that a HVM uses more of the hypervisor resources which allows fewer machines to be virtualized on one server. I have also ran into hybrid-virtualization which did nothing more than confuse even more, as if that were possible.

Can someone point me to a *current* whitepaper or definitive article that will explain this to me.

Sorry for the noise,

Jon