Re: [Xen-devel] Credit scheduler vs SEDF scheduler

To: gaurav somani <onlineengineer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Credit scheduler vs SEDF scheduler
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 11:47:18 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 May 2009 03:47:46 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=oZXYmKJQellfGMAAqY5TeErG1ICOfHSz1PdylyYEFaU=; b=Zh0DkBh1s97+eC8TGXb/xRiagQMu9ePT3IZihC2rqkcwSutFnJgdx50UFDxBKkdO1E XERnkv78+yIQs32ZqnFVvzr+s/EjbjFdke4reQUbkR0zoKtAwUbT2CcxX3HRIrdcNk2c UW2bpODymOX9LZ/ClTnjLcRhId6RKNESHRWC4=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A couple of comments:

* Why did you pin the vcpus to pcpus?  AIUI, pings will always be
handled by vcpu 0.  So if you pin the vcpus to pcpu0, and pcpu0 is
busy, it can't migrate over to pcpu1 if it's not busy.  Try unpinning
the cpus and see if that changes anything.
* The Credit scheduler is known to have some issues with
latency-sensitive workloads.  Workloads like pass-though video are
becoming more important, so there's been a lot of discussion about
this subject.  I'm working on a new scheduler, credit2, that will
hopefully address a lot of these issues.
* "Ping" is not an application that people find it important to
virtualize. :-)  Remember that end-to-end application performance and
fairness are the high-level goals, so although "ping" may be a useful
test to isolate certain aspects of a scheduler, it should never be
used to evaluate the "goodness" of one scheduler over another.
* That said, it's not clear to me (given what I know of sched_credit
and ping) why you'd see these results.

 -George