Re: [Xen-devel] netfront: rx->offset: 12, size: 4294967295

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] netfront: rx->offset: 12, size: 4294967295
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 22:57:07 +0100
Cc: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jajcus@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:55:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > My suspicion is that, strictly speaking, the assignment of 1 to
> > copying_receiver is invalid because a single-bit bitfield can only hold
> > the values -1 and 0. Older gcc perhaps mapped 1 to -1, but 4.2.0 is
> > mapping 1 to 0 (or choosing to do that as an optimisation, since it has
> > the choice, and hence can simplify the code to always write zero in this
> > case). That sucks.
>
> That's why we always use unsigned for bitfields in Linux.

I found a load of bitfields that we ought to consider unsigned-ifying when I
ran sparse over the tree.

I guess I should try and get a patch sent out proactively, maybe that'll head
off similar problems in future.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.