Re: [Xen-devel] opensolaris port?

Am Donnerstag, den 16.06.2005, 00:52 +0100 schrieb Mark Williamson:
> > any plans to port OpenSolaris/x86 to ARCH=xen? AFAIK Solaris Zones
> > cannot run a different OS, right?
> They can't run an OS kernel, although I think there's a project to port BSD
> userland (?) to run in a zone.
> I think the two approaches are complimentary - for different levels of
> isolation / convenience / migratability you choose the appropriate
> virtualisation technique.

I imagine "zones = solaris equivalent of linux vserver/freebsd jails +
lots of resource management". Eg, all zones share the same kernel,

> Another advantage of a Solaris Xen port is that you get the full driver
> support of Linux, whilst being able to run Solaris at near-native speeds.

That's why i was asking: i'd like to try solaris (including zones), but
not on dedicated hw (and it's so much easier to download a ready-to-go
opensolaris rootfs image ;-)

I forgot to ask: on a VT-enabled CPU solaris/x86 (like any other OS/x86)
should run unmodified (at least when there are solaris drivers for the
virtual hardware)?