Re: [Xen-devel] opensolaris port?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] opensolaris port?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:52:33 +0100
Cc: Nils Toedtmann <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:57:34 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> any plans to port OpenSolaris/x86 to ARCH=xen? AFAIK Solaris Zones
> cannot run a different OS, right?

They can't run an OS kernel, although I think there's a project to port BSD
userland (?) to run in a zone.

I think the two approaches are complimentary - for different levels of
isolation / convenience / migratability you choose the appropriate
virtualisation technique.

Another advantage of a Solaris Xen port is that you get the full driver
support of Linux, whilst being able to run Solaris at near-native speeds.