RE: [Xen-devel] Diskless boot at cambridge

To: "'Kip Macy'" <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Diskless boot at cambridge
From: "James Bulpin" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:28:08 +0100
Cc: 'xen-devel' <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:28:03 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> or XenoBoot
>> (now an optional function of the new Xen demo CD).
>
>Is that documented anywhere?

I'm sure Tim Deegan will reply to this. We'll try to get something in
the wiki.

>We have innumerable mount points and so use the automounter (which you
obviously don't use as it is disabled in >>the default config).

We use autofs within the lab cloud and use a userspace NFSd to reexport
this. Some folks dive straight in to machine:/mount/point

>> Root filesystems
>> for diskless systems are either iSCSI, as previously discussed or
NFS.

>How would you give a machine a unique persistent initiator-name when
booting from a general cd?

The XenoBoot CD pulls in a boot script which we generally populate with
a case statement based on DHCP host name. Only a couple of our boxes use
iSCSI at the moment so each has a separate hand-crafted boot command
line.

James