Re: [Xen-devel] Diskless boot at cambridge

To: James Bulpin <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Diskless boot at cambridge
From: Kip Macy <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:51:14 -0700
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:51:09 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> We use either grub with tftp (limited driver support here),

I'm having hard time even getting to the GRUB prompt so I don't think
that is an option.

> or XenoBoot
> (now an optional function of the new Xen demo CD).

Is that documented anywhere?

> We have a fairly
> elaborate system involving our lab-wide NFS tree and scripts and
> symlinks for getting the right images for each machine.

We have innumerable mount points and so use the automounter (which you
obviously don't use as it is disabled in the default config).

> Root filesystems
> for diskless systems are either iSCSI, as previously discussed or NFS.

How would you give a machine a unique persistent initiator-name when
booting from a general cd?

 Thanks.

               -Kip