Re: [Xen-devel] copy on write memory

To: Peri Hankey <mpah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] copy on write memory
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:35:33 -0500 (EST)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:27:13 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Peri Hankey wrote:

It occurred to me that the equivalent in the Xen world would be to use one Linux xenU domain purely as a page-table manager for a collection of separate xenU domains that are expected or known have similar process populations.

UML copy on write is only for filesystems, isn't it ?

The Xen equivalent would be cloning the xenU root filesystem
as an LVM snapshot, from a read-only LVM snapshot.  Then each
xenU virtual system would only use the disk space it writes
to and no more.