Re: [Xen-devel] copy on write memory

To: urmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] copy on write memory
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:25:04 +0000
Cc: Peri Hankey <mpah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:26:54 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I highly doubt that it will be directly applicable to xen - the entire backend
> mechanism is linked into the z/VM shared memory system between guests.  I was
> more pointing it out as a probable jumping off point (most of the work is
> done,
> it just needs to use the xen memory sharing instead) and as a workable
> concept for a less-cpu-intensive copy-on-write mechanism.

Yeah, I spotted uses of hypervisor services and things called
"DCSS"s. I guessed that xip2 must be rather z/VM specific. :-)

Is there any documentation on the semantics of DCSS and the hypervisor
services that are used? It would be interesting to see if Xen ought to
have some similar concept.

 -- Keir