Re: [Xen-devel] which (pseudo)-device can be used as VBD in xenU ?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] which (pseudo)-device can be used as VBD in xenU ?
From: Jérôme Petazzoni <jp@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:53:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:54:29 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And I would like to do this : disk=phy:md8,md1,w

You should be able to export md1 just fine, but the blkfront
virtual driver won't currently register itself as anything other
than sdX or hdX.

I'm having a look at the blkfront driver ; I guess I should be able to hack it easily to support registering with md major number. That might do the trick (even if it's not very nice).

Question : can a non-privilegied host manage a SCSI HBA (thru PCI exclusions) or a IDE controller, and then directly mount SCSI or IDE disks ? Or would blkfront "shadow" those device numbers and prevent direct access to "real" disks ?