Re: [Xen-devel] vif tx drops

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] vif tx drops
From: Brian Wolfe <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:51:25 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:54:13 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 10:29, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > So the xen side of the vif isn't see on the wire except for a: the
> > backend driver domain( usually domain-0) and that vif's front and driver
> > domain eh? (I got the front and back end locations right yes?)
>
> Noone ever sees the backend MAC address -- it is never written into
> any packet. We only need to give the backend a MAC address because we
> hook into the Linux networking code as a normal Ethernet interface,
> and normal Ethernet interfaces need a normal MAC address. :-)
> It needs to be unique because of sanity checks in the bridge that fail
> if it sees a remote address == a local address that it knows about.
>
> > Either way it goes, how would one go about verifying that the MAC is
> > truly unique on it's visible lan? I'd be i very interested in this as a
> > safety precaution. Right now I can't think of how to do the uniqueness
> > test... 8-P if someone can give me an idea or two I could try to code it
> > since it's something that I want.(brain fried this morning)
>
> I'm pretty sure there's no way of soliciting a response from an
> Ethernet host without using some higher-level protocol; probably IP or
> RARP. RARP is hardly ever used, but maybe if you know the IP subnet
> you could do a broadcast ping and collect the responses and look at
> their source MAC addresses?

Hmm, not a bad idea.... :) I know brctl can be used to query for a list
of MACs on it's physical lan that it has cached. Maybe if xend on
domain-0 did something similar using ARP and arp-reply packets that it
sees on the bridges to vet it's mac choices against, and issue a warning
if it sees a dupe?

>  -- Keir
<snip - backlog shortened >