[Xen-users] backing up DomU with Netbackup is 3 times slower

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: abhi datt <abhi.datt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 14:53:28 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 02:24:33 -0700

Hi all,
We have recently migrated our critical servers like MS Exchange, MS SQL etc. to Xen 3.0.3 on RHEL 5.3 server. Although servers are in production and performance is acceptable, but when we attempt to take backups of DomUs  (same way as we used to take in physical servers scenario) using Netbackup v 6.5 application from Symantec, it takes 3x more time to finish the backup. What used to take earlier 18 minutes (exchange mailbox level backup) is now taking 90 minutes.
Our host servers are brand new Dell 2950 with 32 GB RAM and 8 Cores, out of which we have committed 2 cores (read 2 vCPUs)  and 4 B RAM to exchange, which is equivalent of its earlier physical server configuration.
Is there anyway that this can be taken care of as backup is an integral part for any organization

thanks