Re: [Xen-users] Debian & eth0 vs. peth0

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 03:54:08 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:54:49 -0700

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Joshua
Kinard<joshua.kinard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems that with their specific Xen packages, Debian likes to go against
> the norm, and rather than calling the Xen bridging device something sensible
> like "xenbr0", they rename the main physical ethernet device "eth0" to
> "peth0" and create "eth0" as the Xen bridge (as far as I can tell,

Actually that's Xen's doing. Debian didn't change anything in the
naming convention. The naming was changed somewhere around Xen 3.3

> anyways).  Anyone know where exactly they do this so I can reverse it?  It's
> throwing my thinking off, because in all other Linux distros, I've always
> gone for the eth0 device when needing to do networking, and this name change
> just messes with things.

I believe the naming was chosen for that particular purpose : since
users are used to eth0, and the IP is now moved to the bridge, then it
makes sense to name the bridge eth0. Try looking at
/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge if you want to change it.

I prefer to do my own bridging setup though, using standard OS methods
(/etc/network/interfaces for Debian/Ubuntu) and dumping Xen's
network-bridge script altogether (comment-out network-script on
xend-config.sxp).

--
Fajar