Re: [Xen-users] Difference between xm create and xm new / xm start

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Ian Murray<murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As far as I can see, there is something different between using 'xm create'
> and 'xm new' followed by 'xm start'. It's something to do with data being
> stored in XenStore. I couldn't suspend the one started with 'xm create'.
> Could someone please explain the effective difference between the two and
> when 'create' should be used instead of 'new' and vice-versa.

xm create -> domU configuration is NOT managed by xend. Usually using
config files on /etc/xen. This is the easiest method to use for
beginners, as you have a config file that you can edit manually. The
default on RHEL5 (which uses Xen 3.1+).

"xm new" and "xm start" -> domU configuration is managed by xend. You
change values using commands like "xm block-attach", which can modify
settings online. No config file to edit manually. The default on
current versions of Xen.

Personally I use config files and "xm create", even on Xen 3.4 boxes.
It's easier to manage that way.

--
Fajar