re: [Xen-users] Create dummy VMs

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:37:50 +0000 (GMT)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:38:31 -0700

having to install any OS on the VM. I think this is possible on VMware, where
we
can just create a VM without having to install anything on it.
>>I tried creating a Paravirtualized VM with a config file and an empty image
file using dd utility. But when I issue the command

>xm create -c dummyVM,
>
>I get a kernel panic, since there is no filesystem available on the image.
>>Hence the VM does not showup on the xm list command.
>
>Can anybody throw some insights into this.
>
>Thank you
>
>--
>Regards
>Ananth

xm new

or

xm create -p (create paused)

Never used either, so don't know if they'll work in the scenario you are
looking
at, but worth investigation.

I am sure there is a great reason why you want to create domains like this, but
sure as hell can't think what it could be.