Re: [Xen-users] windows 2008 x64 no cdrom.

  • To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robbie garrett <rgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:14:15 +0100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:15:03 -0700

There is no 32 bit 2008 r2, there is only 64 bit and I've had no
problem installing the rtm build on xen, I've also installed windows 7
and that works fine too.

On both I have videoram set to 8mb to enable high resolution, and
viridian enabed to stop bugcheck code 101 when using multiple cpus.

I don't use any special settings for the cdrom, just
file:/mnt/nas1/2008r3.iso, hdc:cdrom,r

I am running xen 3.4.1

Andy

On 15/08/2009, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> xen version is 3.4.1.
>>
>> windows 2008 has been out for some time now and to my understanding is
> the
>> server edition for windows vista...  not windows 7.
>
> 2008 is, more or less, the server version of Vista (2008 rtm was
> basically vista sp1), but the server version of Windows 7 is/will be
> released as R2 of 2008.
>

>> you are correct when you say that i get that message after windows
> boots.
>> when I VNC into the console i can see the post, which then shows me i
> haev a
>> cdrom drive.  the bios is then told to boot from the cdrom.   The odd
> thing
>> here is that i see no hard drive, but i do see a d and x drive.  since
>> windows 2008 installs in a win pe like setup, your x drive is the
> 'windows'
>> that runs while you install the OS on the HD. so perhaps i have an
> issue
>> with windows 2008 not seeing my HD?
>
> Not sure where to go from there... it _should_ work, but it obviously
> doesn't... have you tried to 32 bit version?
>
> James

Sent from my mobile device