[Xen-users] start domU: Error: unknown opcode

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Derk Gortemaker <derk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 22:56:03 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:56:44 -0700

Hello all,

I found a problem with Xen 3.4.1-rc10, the one that is in Opensuse factory.

When starting a guest I get the following error:

Using config file "/etc/xen/vm/testvm01".
Error: unknown opcode

When searching for the problem I traced it to
/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xend/image.py line 623 which
calls a C function to set/copy the cpuid information to the new guest.
But that fails. These files are equal to the ones from xen, so no
Opensuse patching is done the these files.

When I comment the line in image.py and restart xend, the guests does
start. But the information in /proc/cpuinfo is minimal.

I've got a nice machine to use for xen. After some trouble i got it to
install opensuse 11.2 M4. Previous versions of Opensuse did not install
because the hardware is somewhat new. (
http://supermicro.com/products/system/2U/6026/SYS-6026TT-BIBQRF.cfm )

CPU: 2x Intel E5520

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? And how bad is it to start
a guest with minimal CPUID information?

And does someone know an alternative linux distro to test this problem
in without to much installing?

Thanks.