RE: [Xen-users] Getting Windows 2003 to run in multiple cores ???

  • To: "Madhu Venugopal (vmadhu)" <vmadhu@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:40:27 +1000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:41:28 -0700

> Hi,
>
> Installed Windows 2003 on XEN successfully (domain name : win1).
> I could not get it running in multiple cores though (tried vcpus=4).
> Windows taskmanager shows only 1 CPU always :-(.

This may not be your problem, but one thing that caught me out early on
is that if you make a change to the config file and then do a 'xm
reboot' (or just do shutdown->restart in windows), the change isn't
picked up - it runs with the old config. You need to shut down the DomU
and then 'xm start' it.

Another thing, on the first startup after changing from vcpus=1 to
vcpus=2 (or more), Windows needs to install the SMP HAL so it will say
something like "your hardware has changed and you need to reboot for the
change to take effect".

James