From: "Christian Fischer" <Christian.Fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 31 July, 2009 21:46:04 GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Rome / Stockholm / Vienna
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network Interface Problems for DomU Firewall

On Friday 31 July 2009, Tom Jensen wrote:

[snip]

> As I mentioned before, my ultimate goal is to configure a standard three
> interface firewall within the DomU.  Most of the information I have found
> on the subject suggests the most secure way to accomplish this is to
> dedicate the interface connected to the Internet to the DomU using PCI
> passthrough.  The other two interfaces (DMZ & LAN) would be virtual
> interfaces bridged to the Dom0.  I am open to other concepts for creating
> a firewall DomU if anyone cares to share their configurations.

How about to have the firewall inside dom0? If it hasn't more to do than
routing/firewalling i think a separate domU is a bit blown.

You could replace /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge with a dummy script (always
exit 0, no interface renaming), create simple bridges eg. brnet (bridge
interfaces eth0), brlan/brdmz (no bridge interfaces, no ip) and add the domU
vifs to these bridges.

You could now firewall inside the bridges.

Have a look at http://www.shorewall.net/manpages/shorewall-hosts.html if you
use it. Works fine.

Christian

> > --