Re: [xen-4.12-testing test] 169199: regressions - FAIL

Hi Roger,

On 08/04/2022 12:16, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 12:08:02PM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
Hi,

On 08/04/2022 12:01, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
I could add a suitable dom0_max_vcpus parameter to osstest.  XenServer
uses 16 for example.

I'm afraid a fixed number won't do, the more that iirc there are
systems with just a few cores in the pool (and you don't want to
over-commit by default).

But this won't over commit, it would just assign dom0 16 vCPUs at
most, if the system has less than 16 vCPUs that's what would be
assigned to dom0.

AFAICT, this is not the case on Arm. If you ask 16 vCPUs, then you will get
that number even if there are 8 pCPUs.

In fact, the documentation of dom0_max_vcpus suggests that the numbers of
vCPUs can be more than the number of pCPUs.

It was my understanding that you could only achieve that by using the
min-max nomenclature, so in order to force 16 vCPUs always you would
have to use:

dom0_max_vcpus=16-16

Otherwise the usage of '_max_' in the option name is pointless, and it
should instead be dom0_vcpus.

Anyway, I could use:

dom0_max_vcpus=1-16

Which is unambiguous and should get us 1 vCPU at least, or 16vCPUs at
most.

Unfortunately, Arm doesn't support the min-max nomenclature.

But given Jans suggestion we might want to go for something more
complex?

I think we already have some knowledge about each HW (i.e. grub vs uboot) in Osstest. So I think it would be fine to extend the knowledge and add the number of CPUs.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall