Re: xen: linker symbol mess, and freeing errors

On 03/12/2021 13:34, Andrew Cooper wrote:
Hello,

Hi,

On ARM, the embedded dtb support wants a rethink, because it was placed
after BSS, rendering any space-saving null and void in the compiled (and
loaded) image.

While I understand the compiled/loaded image are going to be bigger, I think this is correctly place it is going to be relocated by Xen during the boot process. So I don't think it should be placed in the middle of Xen binary.

Furthermore, IHMO, this is a legacy/development feature because one should really use the DT provided by the firmware.

So I am not convinced this is worth to spend time re-ordering things around (and potentially breaking more stuff).

There is also nothing which checks the BSS is correctly
aligned for the zeroing loops (which I do have fix for).

AFAICT, the worse things that could happen is Xen will crash at boot when zeroing which is easily noticeable and reliable. That said,
it would be good to make it a compiler error to save time.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall