Re: [patch-4.16] arm/smmuv1,v2: Protect smmu master list with a lock

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: [patch-4.16] arm/smmuv1,v2: Protect smmu
> master list with a lock"):
> > In regards to this specific patch and also the conversation about 4.16
> > or 4.17: I think it would be fine to take this patch in 4.16 in its
> > current form. Although it is not required because PCI passthrough is
> > not going to be complete in 4.16 anyway, I like that this patch makes
> > the code consistent in terms of protection of rbtree accesses.  With
> > this patch the arm_smmu_master rbtree is consistently protected from
> > concurrent accesses. Without this patch, it is sometimes protected and
> > sometimes not, which is not great.
>
> It sounds like this is a possible latent bug, or at least a bad state
> of the code that might lead to the introduction of bad bugs later.
>
> So I think I understand the upside.
>
> > So I think that is something that could be good to have in 4.16. But
> > like you said, the patch is not strictly required so it is fine either
> > way.
>
> Can you set out the downside for me too ?  What are the risks ?  How
> are the affected code paths used in 4.16 ?
>
> A good way to think about this is: if taking this patch for 4.16
> causes problems, what would that look like ?

The patch affects the SMMU code paths that are currently in-use for
non-PCI devices which are currently supported. A bug in this patch could
cause a failure to setup the SMMU for one or more devices. I would
imagine that it would manifest probably as either an error or an hang
(given that it is adding spin locks) early at boot when the SMMU is
configured.

The validation of this patch would mostly happen by review: it is the
kind of patch that changes some "return -1" into "goto err".