Xen 4.16 development update - tree status

Tree status
===========

We are now in feature freeze.

Until code freeze, straightforward bugfixes (and documentation
changes) may continue to be committed without a Release-Ack,
until the Code Freeze, which will be on Friday 29th October.[1]

Any patches introducing features should have been committed by now.
All patches containing substantial refactoring need a Release-Ack,
even if the intent is to fix bugs.

If in doubt please ask for a Release-Ack.

The current planned release schedule
====================================

    Friday 29th October                   Code freeze

      Bugfixes only, all changes to be approved by the Release Manager,
      on the basis of a (progressively stricter[*]) risk assessment.
      (2 weeks)

    Friday 12th November **tentative**    Hard code freeze [*]

      Bugfixes for serious bugs (including regressions), and low-risk
      fixes only.
      (0.5 weeks)

    Tuesday 16th November **tentative**   Branch off staging-4.16

      xen-unstable open again - with caveats to avoid release disruption.
      (1.5 weeks)

    Friday 26th November **tentative**    Final commits (docs/prep only)
    Week of 29th November **tentative**   Release
      (probably Tuesday or Wednesday)

Open issues and blockers
========================

I am aware of a number of oustanding bug fixes, particularly for x86.
I would appreciate attention from maintainers to these so that they
can be applied sooner rather than later.  I don't believe any of these
have been explicitly flagged as RC, or regressions, but I think my
information may be incomplete.

In general, please would people explicitly note release-blocker issues
to me, so that I can see that they are sorted out.

I'm aware of one thing that I definitely want to see fixed before
release: the patch "Enable the existing x86 virtual PCI support for
ARM" needs rework.  I believe this is in hand.

Ian.

[1] As previously discussed, this timescale has been compressed
    by one week.

[*] The distinction between Code Freeze and Hard Code Freeze is a
matter of degree, not kind; the Hard Code Freeze data and associated
tighter policy text is indicative rather than normative.