From: Rob Townley <rob.townley@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2021 9:33 PM
To: Xentrigued <xentrigued@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Nested Virtualization of Hyper-V on Xen Not Working

I encourage you to run the Windows Hardware Lab Kit 11/02/2018 or HLK or maybe try the VHLK.  The VHLK is a free VHD file download of win2016 that has all the tests necessary built-in.  So you could manually download the test kit on your existing Windows VM or attempt the VHD.   "Default login credentials are HLKAdminUser with password Testpassword,1"

Please post the results.   Citrix 8.1 and 8.2 are listed as validated and so would be very interesting to see any differences in test results running XCP-ng 8.2 and Citrix 8.2.

Why run the hardware lab kit in a virtualized environment and directly on the underlying hardware?  Because those tests are used to validate for the SVVP.   Microsoft has something similar to their Hardware Compatibility List, aka HCL.   SVVP is Microsoft's Server Virtualization Validation Program.   SVVP validates that Windows Operating Systems and APPS run on top of other hypervisors and once validated will receive technical support.  SVVP has been around for over a decade but has of course changed over the years.   Recently,  it has been making news because Win11 / Win2022 requires a TPM 2.0 chip, but XCP-NG XEN does not yet support that.    If the hypervisor is SVVP certified, then running MS Hyper-V Windows on top of any validated hypervisor would be much more likely to work and possibly supported directly by MS and tsanet.org.  Canonical and RedHat are in tsanet, but would like to see the Linux Foundation or Vates itself.