Re: A KernelShark plugin for Xen traces analysis ​

On Tue, 2021-04-13 at 16:33 +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 13/04/2021 15:28, Giuseppe Eletto wrote:
> >
> > You will need the development version of KernelShark, available
> > here:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/trace-cmd/kernel-shark.git
> >
> > A screenshot of the plugin in action is available here:
> > https://github.com/giuseppe998e/kernelshark-xentrace-plugin/raw/master/.github/img/ks-xentrace.png
> >
> > I'm happy to receive whatever feedback you may have about it,
> > and to answer any question.
>
> Very nice.
>
> A couple of questions.  Which Xen libraries do you currently use map
> the
> frames?

Err... If I understood the question none, as the plugin loads and
parses a file, as it is produced by `xentrace`. :-)

But maybe I didn't understand the question?

> For the screenshot, there are a lot of examples where you have a
> dom:vcpu pair, and a number rendered in hex.  Throughout the
> hypervisor,
> we're standardising on d$v$ as a format, and e.g. d[IDLE]v$ for some
> of
> the magic domid's (0x7ff0 ... 0x7fff).

Yes, the content of the "info" column is currently a bit "raw". I
believe it should be made more similar to what `xenalyze --dump-all`
looks like, rather than to what xentrace_format` does (just to make and
example that people that have used these two tools can understand).

This is just due to the fact that we wanted to let the Xen and
KernelShark communities know about this work as soon as Giuseppe got it
working properly and reliably, to gather any kind of feedback, decide
where this should live, in the long run, (in Xen? In KS? In its own
project?), etc. :-)

Thanks and Regards
--
Dario Faggioli, Ph.D