Re: [RFC] xen/arm: introduce XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu

Hi Stefano,

On 17/02/2021 23:54, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2021, Julien Grall wrote:
On 17/02/2021 02:00, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
Hi all,

Today Linux uses the swiotlb-xen driver (drivers/xen/swiotlb-xen.c) to
translate addresses for DMA operations in Dom0. Specifically,
swiotlb-xen is used to translate the address of a foreign page (a page
belonging to a domU) mapped into Dom0 before using it for DMA.

This is important because although Dom0 is 1:1 mapped, DomUs are not. On
systems without an IOMMU swiotlb-xen enables PV drivers to work as long
as the backends are in Dom0. Thanks to swiotlb-xen, the DMA operation
ends up using the MFN, rather than the GFN.

On systems with an IOMMU, this is not necessary: when a foreign page is
mapped in Dom0, it is added to the Dom0 p2m. A new GFN->MFN translation
is enstablished for both MMU and SMMU. Dom0 could safely use the GFN
address (instead of the MFN) for DMA operations and they would work. It
would be more efficient than using swiotlb-xen.

If you recall my presentation from Xen Summit 2020, Xilinx is working on
cache coloring. With cache coloring, no domain is 1:1 mapped, not even
Dom0. In a scenario where Dom0 is not 1:1 mapped, swiotlb-xen does not
work as intended.

The suggested solution for both these issues is to add a new feature
flag "XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu" that tells Dom0 that it is safe not to use
swiotlb-xen because IOMMU translations are available for Dom0. If
XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu is set, Linux should skip the swiotlb-xen
initialization. I have tested this scheme with and without cache
coloring (hence with and without 1:1 mapping of Dom0) on ZCU102 and it
works as expected: DMA operations succeed.

What about systems where an IOMMU is present but not all devices are
protected?

There is no way for Xen to know which devices are protected and which
ones are not: devices that do not have the "iommus" property could or
could not be DMA masters.

Perhaps Xen could populate a whitelist of devices protected by the IOMMU
based on the "iommus" property. It would require some added complexity
in Xen and especially in the swiotlb-xen driver in Linux to use it,
which is not ideal.

You are trading a bit more complexity in Xen and Linux with a user will may
not be able to use the hypervisor on his/her platform without a quirk in Xen
(see more below).

However, this approach would not work for cache
coloring where dom0 is not 1:1 mapped so the swiotlb-xen should not be
used either way

Not all the Dom0 Linux kernel will be able to work with cache colouring. So
you will need a way for the kernel to say "Hey I am can avoid using swiotlb".

A dom0 Linux kernel unmodified can work with Xen cache coloring enabled.

Really? I was expecting Linux to configure the DMA transaction to use the MFN for foreign pages. So a mapping GFN == MFN would be necessary.

The swiotlb-xen is unneeded and also all the pfn_valid() checks to detect
if a page is local or foreign don't work as intended.

I am not sure to understand this. Are you saying that Linux will "mistakenly" consider the foreign page as local? Therefore, it would always use the GFN rather than MFN?

However, it still
works on systems where the IOMMU can be relied upon. That's because the
IOMMU does the GFN->MFN translations, and also because both swiotlb-xen
code paths (cache flush local and cache flush via hypercall) work.

Also considering that somebody that enables cache coloring has to know
the entire system well, I don't think we need a runtime flag from Linux
to say "Hey I can avoid using swiotlb".

I think we should avoid to hardcode any decision again. Otherwise, sooner or later this will come back to bite us.

[...]

How to set XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu?

We could set XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu automatically when
is_iommu_enabled(d) for Dom0. We could also have a platform specific
(xen/arch/arm/platforms/) override so that a specific platform can
disable XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu. For debugging purposes and advanced
users, it would also be useful to be able to override it via a Xen
command line parameter.
Platform quirks should be are limited to a small set of platforms.

In this case, this would not be only per-platform but also per-firmware table
as a developer can decide to remove/add IOMMU nodes in the DT at any time.

In addition to that, it means we are introducing a regression for those users
as Xen 4.14 would have worked on there platform but not anymore. They would
need to go through all the nodes and find out which one is not protected.

This is a bit of a daunting task and we are going to end up having a lot of
per-platform quirk in Xen.

So this approach selecting the flag is a no-go for me. FAOD, the inverted idea
(i.e. only setting XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu per-platform) is a no go as well.

I don't have a good idea how to set the flag automatically. My
requirement is newer Xen should continue to work on all supported
platforms without any additional per-platform effort.

Absolutely agreed.

One option would be to rename the flag to XENFEAT_ARM_cache_coloring and
only set it when cache coloring is enabled.  Obviously you need to know
what you are doing if you are enabling cache coloring. If we go down
that route, we don't risk breaking compatibility with any platforms.
Given that cache coloring is not upstream yet (upstreaming should start
very soon), maybe the only thing to do now would be to reserve a XENFEAT
number.

At least in this context, I can't see how the problem described is cache coloring specific. Although, we may need to expose such flag for other purpose in the future.

But actually it was always wrong for Linux to enable swiotlb-xen without
checking whether it is 1:1 mapped or not. Today we enable swiotlb-xen in
dom0 and disable it in domU, while we should have enabled swiotlb-xen if
1:1 mapped no matter dom0/domU. (swiotlb-xen could be useful in a 1:1
mapped domU driver domain.)

There is an argument (Andy was making on IRC) that being 1:1 mapped or
not is an important information that Xen should provide to the domain
regardless of anything else.

So maybe we should add two flags:

- XENFEAT_direct_mapped
- XENFEAT_not_direct_mapped

I am guessing the two flags is to allow Linux to fallback to the default behavior (depending on dom0 vs domU) on older hypervisor On newer hypervisors, one of this flag would always be set. Is that correct?

To all domains. This is not even ARM specific. Today dom0 would get
XENFEAT_direct_mapped and domUs XENFEAT_not_direct_mapped. With cache
coloring all domains will get XENFEAT_not_direct_mapped. With Bertrand's
team work on 1:1 mapping domUs, some domUs might start to get
XENFEAT_direct_mapped also one day soon.

Now I think this is the best option because it is descriptive, doesn't
imply anything about what Linux should or should not do, and doesn't
depend on unreliable IOMMU information.

That's a good first step but this still doesn't solve the problem on whether the swiotlb can be disabled per-device or even disabling the expensive 1:1 mapping in the IOMMU page-tables.

It feels to me we need to have a more complete solution (not necessary implemented) so we don't put ourself in the corner again.

Instead, if we follow my original proposal of using
XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu and set it automatically when Dom0 is protected
by IOMMU, we risk breaking PV drivers for platforms where that protection
is incomplete. I have no idea how many there are out there today.

This can virtually affect any platform as it is easy to disable an IOMMU in the firmware table.

I have
the feeling that there aren't that many but I am not sure. So yes, it
could be that we start passing XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu for a given
platform, Linux skips the swiotlb-xen initialization, actually it is
needed for a network/block device, and a PV driver breaks. I can see why
you say this is a no-go.

Third option. We still use XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu but we never set
XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu automatically. It needs a platform specific flag
to be set. We add the flag to xen/arch/arm/platforms/xilinx-zynqmp.c and
any other platforms that qualify. Basically it is "opt in" instead of
"opt out". We don't risk breaking anything because platforms would have
XENFEAT_ARM_dom0_iommu disabled by default.
Well, yes you will not break other platforms. However, you are still at risk to break your platform if the firmware table is updated and disable some but not all IOMMUs (for performance concern, brokeness...).

Still, I think the
XENFEAT_not/direct_mapped route is much cleaner and simpler.

The XENFEAT_{not,}_direct_mapped also doesn't rely on every platform to add code in Xen to take advantage of new features.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall