Re: Boot time and 3 sec in warning_print

Hi Andrew,

On 15/02/2021 15:00, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 15/02/2021 10:41, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 15.02.2021 11:35, Julien Grall wrote:
On 15/02/2021 08:38, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 15.02.2021 09:13, Jürgen Groß wrote:
What was just an "annoyance" for boot can now completely wreck your
guests and system (not many software can tolerate large downtime).

So I think we either want to drop the 3s pause completely or allow the
user to decide whether he/she cares about it via a command line option.

I am leaning towards the former at the moment.
I'm afraid I'm -2 towards complete removal. I'm at least -1 towards
shortening of the pause, as already indicated.

A 3s delay on boot doesn't even cause most people to notice.  The
infrastructure has failed at its intended purpose.

Therefore, we should consider now to replace this largely-failed
experiment with something better.

Personally, I think ARM is abusing this in the first place.  Adding a 3
second delay for someone who's explicitly chosen hmp_unsafe is petty.

For Arm, the original goal was to get all the important warning in a single place so they are easy to find.

The 3 seconds is unfortunately an unintended consequence of using warning_add().

So is adding a 3 second delay for anyone who's explicitly chosen a
non-default configuration.  In retrospect, I think the delay for hvm_fep
is also wrong, especially as we also have a taint for it. >

The *only* way to make users deal with the warnings is to surface them
very obviously in the UI they use to interact with their Xen system.
That is XenCenter/XenOrchestra/virt-manager/etc, and possibly the SSH
MOTD - not a logfile that approximately noone reads.

To make this happen, warnings need to be available somewhere which isn't
the dmesg ring.  hypfs would be the obvious candidate at the moment.

Could we also taint Xen if there is a major warning?

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall