Re: Xen 4.14.1 on RPI4: device tree generation failed

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 5:40 PM Stefano Stabellini
<sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Feb 2021, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 10:23 AM Tamas K Lengyel
> > <tamas.k.lengyel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes, these configs are all set the same way for all Linux builds by the
> > > script:
> > >         make O=.build-arm64 ARCH=arm64
> > > CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-linux-gnu- bcm2711_defconfig xen.config
> > >
> > > I tried with both the rpi-5.10.y and rpi-5.9.y, neither boot up as
> > > dom0. So far only 4.19 boots.
> >
> > rpi-5.4.y boots but ends up in yet another different kernel panic:
>
> That's an interesting error. However, I can tell you that I can boot
> rpi-5.9.y just fine (without a monitor attached) with:
>
> cd linux
> KERNEL=kernel7l
> make bcm2711_defconfig
>
> As mentioned here:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/kernel/building.md
>
> and also taking the device tree from arch/arm64/boot/dts/broadcom/.

FWIW: I see the same results with stock upstream 5.10.7 effectively
following the steps you're doing.

However, as I keep saying -- the combination of firmware and u-boot
(in my case) is a very sensitive combination -- hence we're relying
on a very particular set of bits for there in EVE and will refuse to work
with anything else.

It may be helpful to take that combination outside of EVE's context and
try it out in your experiments Tamas.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. I'm running into a DomU issue in certain places when running with 5.10.7
but that's a subject for a different thread.