Re: Getting rid of (many) dynamic link creations in the xen build

On 15.10.20 12:09, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 15.10.2020 09:58, Jürgen Groß wrote:
After a short discussion on IRC yesterday I promised to send a mail
how I think we could get rid of creating dynamic links especially
for header files in the Xen build process.

This will require some restructuring, the amount will depend on the
selected way to proceed:

- avoid links completely, requires more restructuring
- avoid only dynamically created links, i.e. allowing some static
    links which are committed to git

While I like the latter better, I'd like to point out that not all
file systems support symlinks, and hence the repo then couldn't be
stored on (or the tarball expanded onto) such a file system. Note
that this may be just for viewing purposes - I do this typically at
home -, i.e. there's no resulting limitation from the build process
needing symlinks. Similarly, once we fully support out of tree
builds, there wouldn't be any restriction from this as long as just
the build tree is placed on a capable file system.

As a result I'd like to propose variant 2´: Reduce the number of
dynamically created symlinks to a minimum. This said, I have to
admit that I haven't really understood yet why symlinks are bad.
They exist for exactly such purposes, I would think.

Another option would be to create the needed links from ./configure
instead of committing them to git.

Juergen