Re: u-boot vs. uefi as boot loaders on ARM

On 15/08/2020 21:43, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
Hi!

Hi,

with the recent excellent work by Anastasiia committed to the u-boot's
main line, we now have two different ways of bringing ARM DomUs.

Is there any chance someone can educate the general public on pros
and cons of both approaches?

In Project EVE we're still using uefi on ARM (to stay closer to the more
"ARM in the cloud" use case) but perhaps the situation now is more
nuanced?

UEFI is just standard, so I am guessing you are referring to Tianocore/EDK2. am I correct?

Recent version of U-boot are also able to partially UEFI. This means you could easily use GRUB with U-boot.

From my understanding, U-boot is just a bootloader. Therefore it will not provide runtime services (such as date & time). Furthermore, the interface is less user friendly, you will have to know the memory layout in order to load binaries.

On the other hand, Tianocore/EDK2 is very similar to what non-embedded may be used to. It will not require you to know your memory layout. But this comes at the cost of a more complex bootloader to debug.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall