Re: Migration vmdesc and xen-save-devices-state

* Jason Andryuk (jandryuk@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At some point, QEMU changed to add a json VM description (vmdesc)
> after the migration data.  The vmdesc is not needed to restore the
> migration data, but qemu_loadvm_state() will read and discard the
> vmdesc to clear the stream when should_send_vmdesc() is true.

About 5 years ago :-)

#1 does sound simple!

> If going with #2, qemu_save_device_state() needs to generate the
> vmdesc data.  Looking at qemu_save_device_state() and
> qemu_savevm_state_complete_precopy_non_iterable(), they are both very
> similar and could seemingly be merged.  qmp_xen_save_devices_state()
> could even leverage the bdrv_inactivate_all() call in
> qemu_savevm_state_complete_precopy_non_iterable().
>
> The would make qemu_save_device_state a little more heavywight, which
> could impact COLO.  I'm not sure how performance sensitive the COLO
> code is, and I haven't measured anything.

COLO snapshots are potentially quite sensitive; although we've got a
load of other things we could do with speeding up, we could do without
making them noticably heavier.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxx / Manchester, UK