Re: [BOOTLOADER SPECIFICATION RFC] The bootloader log format for TrenchBoot and others

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:11:40AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> > On May 29, 2020, at 4:30 AM, Daniel Kiper <daniel.kiper@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > Below you can find my rough idea of the bootloader log format which is
> > generic thing but initially will be used for TrenchBoot work. I discussed
> > this proposal with Ross and Daniel S. So, the idea went through initial
> > sanitization. Now I would like to take feedback from other folks too.
> > So, please take a look and complain...
>
> > In general we want to pass the messages produced by the bootloader to the OS
> > kernel and finally to the userspace for further processing and analysis.
> > Below
> > is the description of the structures which will be used for this thing.
>
> Is the intent for a human to read these, or to get them into the
> system log file, or are they intended to actually change the behavior
> of the system?
>
> IOW, what is this for?

In general the idea is for a human to read these. There will be a separate
tool which reads the bootloader log exposed via Linux kernel sysfs and displays
its contents to the user. The tool will allow user to do various kinds of
filtering. We are not going to put the contents of the bootloader log into any
of system logs. However, if somebody wants to do that, in sensible way, I am
OK with that.

Daniel