Re: -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs support in glibc for i386 PV Xen

On 27/05/2020 15:00, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 27.05.2020 15:39, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>> On 27/05/2020 14:03, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> I'm about to remove nosegneg support from upstream glibc, special builds
>>> that use -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs, and the ability load different
>>> libraries built in this mode automatically, when the Linux kernel tells
>>> us to do that.  I think the intended effect is that these special builds
>>> do not use operands of the form %gs:(%eax) when %eax has the MSB set
>>> because that had a performance hit with paravirtualization on 32-bit
>>> x86.  Instead, the thread pointer is first loaded from %gs:0, and the
>>> actual access does not use a segment prefix.
>>>
>>> Before doing that, I'd like to ask if anybody is still using this
>>> feature?
>>>
>>> I know that we've been carrying nosegneg libraries for many years, in
>>> some cases even after we stopped shipping 32-bit kernels. 8-/ The
>>> feature has always been rather poorly documented, and the way the
>>> dynamic loader selects those nosegneg library variants is still very
>>> bizarre.
>> I wasn't even aware of this feature, or that there was a problem wanting
>> fixing.
>>
>> That said, I have found:
>>
>> # 32-bit x86 does not perform well with -ve segment accesses on Xen.
>> CFLAGS-$(CONFIG_X86_32) += $(call cc-option,$(CC),-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs)
>>
>> in one of our makefiles.
>>
>> Why does the MSB make any difference?  %gs still needs to remain intact
>> so the thread pointer can be pulled out, so there is nothing that Xen or
>> Linux can do in the way of lazy loading.
>>
>> Beyond that, its straight up segment base semantics in x86.  There will
>> be a 1-cycle AGU delay from a non-zero base, but that nothing to do with
>> Xen and applies to all segment based TLS accesses on x86, and you'll win
>> that back easily through reduced register pressure.
>>
>> Are there any further details on the perf problem claim?  I find it
>> suspicious.
> To guard the hypervisor area, 32-bit Xen reduced the limits of guest
> usable segment descriptors.

Right.  Segment limits are what keept the guest kernel (ring 1,
supervisor) out of Xen (ring 1, also supervisor).

> While this works fine for flat ones (you
> just chop off some space at the top), there's no way to represent a
> full segment with a non-zero base.

(From the other thread,) The problem isn't related to the base, per say.

It is that a segment with a non-4G limit now faults rather than
truncating usefully for the 32bit TLS model.

> You can have the descriptor map
> only the [base,XenBase] part or the [0,base) one. Hence Xen, from its
> #GP handler, flipped the descriptor between the two options depending
> on whether the current access was to the positive of negative part of
> the TLS seg. (An in-practice use of expand down segments, as you'll
> surely notice.)

I've found gpf_emulate_4gb() in source history.  It was specific to
32bit builds of Xen (now long gone).

What I can't figure out is why this is unnecessary in 64bit builds of
Xen.  We still enforce reduced segment limits on the guests descriptors.

I have a worrying suspicion that Xen's ABI for PV32 (on top of a 64bit
Xen) now depends on -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs

~Andrew