xen-network-common.sh MAC address assignment

Hello,
Why does git commit f400f2993b52e820d0da24a2e49a8fdfab0d2827, make
xen-network-common.sh set a static MAC address for the virtual device
as shown below?

ip link set dev ${dev} address fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff || true

I see the high order byte is 0xFE, which has the broadcast flag unset,
thereby signifying a unicast MAC address (as stated in the comment
right before this line). But shouldnt the device have a random MAC
address? Is there any reason why a hardcoded MAC is assigned? FYI, in
rewriting this script with a randomized MAC, my VM cannot communicate
with my host, so this might have something to do with my problem.

Thanks.

--
My Blog: http://www.neilscomputerblog.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @neilsikka