Re: [Xen-devel] Xen mailing lists: dropping Subject line tags, etc.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 01:48:39PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Hi. This message is being sent once to each mailing list hosted by
> the Xen Project.
>
> Increasingly, mail systems on the public internet are demanding
> restrictive SPF configurations [1] and DKIM signatures [2].
>
> Currently the Xen Project systems have liberal configurations.
> Unfortunately this means that we are having trouble with mails being
> blocked as spam. We intend to tighten the configuration.
>
> For mailing lists, this will mean we need to stop adding the
> [list-name] tag to the Subject line, and stop adding the footers
> giving mailing list information.

Is that really necessary to make mail systems happy? I have managed some
mail servers including mailing lists few years ago and from what I
remember, it was necessary to just make it clear in the headers that
the email comes from the mailing list. This includes things like
(envelope) sender rewrite (SRS[3]) and adding own DKIM signature.

Personally, I don't mind dropping mail footer, but the tag in the
subject is really useful to distinguish various discussions in an INBOX
(when you're cc-ed explicitly).

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme

--
Best Regards,