Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] recent hypervisor in recent ubuntu (19.10+) resets host and legacy boot never starts, EFI works

On 30.12.2019 00:57, Pry Mar wrote:
> Referencing this report against kernel-5.3 and xen-4.9.2:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xen/+bug/1851091

The report there involves seeing a "Decoding failed" message,
which according to commit 2d7572cdfa4d you've successfully
tested to no longer be an issue with 4.13. Bot aspects are in
contrast to ...

> I see the same behavior with the hypervisor from xen-4.12.x and xen-4.13.0.
> Using legacy bios, boot never starts and host resets.

... this statement, no matter how I interpret "boot never
starts".

> Adding more:
> If I copy into Focal /boot the hypervisor built in Buster or ub19.04,
> using the same d/rules*, everything works.
>
> I've built the xen hypervisor with gcc8 or gcc9, with or without PIE,
> and behavior is the same.
>
> However, I've noticed that all hypervisors have 3 LZ4 blobs. The 2
> working versions have the same first blob size at (0F 85 5B 01),
> slightly smaller than the Focal blob size (0F 85 5C 01).

I'm unaware of hypervisor (Xen) binaries having any LZ4 blobs
embedded into them.

On the whole I'm afraid I can't really see what (if any) problem
you report.

Jan