[Xen-devel] [BUG] recent hypervisor in recent ubuntu (19.10+) resets host and legacy boot never starts, EFI works

hello,

Referencing this report against kernel-5.3 and xen-4.9.2:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xen/+bug/1851091

I see the same behavior with the hypervisor from xen-4.12.x and xen-4.13.0.
Using legacy bios, boot never starts and host resets.

Adding more:
If I copy into Focal /boot the hypervisor built in Buster or ub19.04,
using the same d/rules*, everything works.

I've built the xen hypervisor with gcc8 or gcc9, with or without PIE,
and behavior is the same.

However, I've noticed that all hypervisors have 3 LZ4 blobs. The 2
working versions have the same first blob size at (0F 85 5B 01),
slightly smaller than the Focal blob size (0F 85 5C 01).

I count Lz4 blobs looking for ( 02 21 4C 18).

I cannot test an EFI boot, but the launchpad report says EFI works in ub19.10.

cheers,
PryMar56
##xen-packaging on Freenode IRC