Re: [Xen-devel] arm/vtimer: Physical timer emulation and the physical counter

Hi Jeff,

On 21/11/2019 15:47, Jeff Kubascik wrote:
On 11/21/2019 10:06 AM, Julien Grall wrote:> Hi,

On 21/11/2019 14:31, Jeff Kubascik wrote:
On 11/19/2019 7:48 AM, Julien Grall wrote:
So I think we can handle the physical timer in similar fashion to the
virtual timer. This should likely improve performance for OS still using
the physcial timer (AFAIK linux arm64 will use the virt timer by default).

One caveat is the virtual timer currently masks itself when it fires. This
requires the guest to unmask it every time in the interrupt handler, which is a
deviation from normal ARMv8 behavior. Every RTOS port to Xen I have worked with
requires this modification for the system tick to work correctly. We may need to
copy this behavior for the physical timer as well.

That's a good point. This should be solved by Stewart's series (I
haven't yet reviewed it).

That would be great if we could fix this deviation in Xen - it would be one less
problem to deal with when porting guests.

While waiting on the series, we should still fix the problem. But I
would like to avoid trapping the physical timer counter register. So I
would suggest to adapt the emulation of the CVAL & co.

I would propose removing phys_timer_base.offset and just make the offset zero
for the physical timer traps. I can put together a patch for this.

I think it should be fine to remove phys_timer_base.offset completely.

Looking forward to review the patch.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall