Re: [Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Call for agenda items for September 5th Community Call @ 15:00 UTC

Agenda item:  Domain name service for nested virt and disaggregation

(text based on draft by Daniel Smith, who will speak to this agenda item)

If a future, minimal "L0 Xen" hypervisor can be optimized for nested virtualization in greenfield deployments (i.e. no requirement to maintain existing hypervisor-guest interfaces), then PV driver mechanisms other than grants, events and xenstore could be considered.  This was discussed in a Xen Summit 2019 design session:

For some OpenXT use cases, we are in the process of further disaggregating the platform.  We need a name service to enable the disaggregated service domains to discover the other service domains with which they need to communicate.  Xenstore is not sufficient, as we would like to use Flask to control the data flow, as well as applying mandatory access control to service calls.

We are reaching out to the Xen Community to elicit input on approaches, such that we might be able to submit an upstream RFC based on our early work:

- For a communication channel we are looking to leverage Argo, which is currently in experimental status. Its predecessor (v4v) is already being used in a similar fashion by Bromium uXen (https://github.com/openxt/uxen), which functions well across nested hypervisors.  uXen v4v includes a mechanism to control information flow.

- An open question is how to address the domains. Xen domain ids are reused and have no guarantee for uniqueness.  UUIDs are available and can provide better guarantees for uniqueness. Another approach is to use the name string which allows the ability for punctuation characters, eg. : or /, to create namespaced names for the domains.