Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/6] XEN scheduling hardening

Hello Juergen,

On 26.07.19 15:14, Juergen Gross wrote:
  - How to avoid the absolute top priority of tasklets (what is obeyed
by all
    schedulers so far). Should idle vcpu be scheduled as the normal
guest vcpus
    (through queues, priorities, etc)?

Now, this is something to think about, and try to understand if
anything would break if we go for it. I mean, I see why you'd want to
do that, but tasklets and softirqs works the way they do, in Xen, since
when they were introduced, I believe.

Therefore, even if there wouldn't be any subsystem explicitly relying
on the current behavior (which should be verified), I think we are at
high risk of breaking things, if we change.

We'd break things IMO.

Tasklets are sometimes used to perform async actions which can't be done
in guest vcpu context.

OK, that stuff can not be done in the guest vcpu context. But why can't it be
done with the guest's priority?

Like switching a domain to shadow mode for L1TF
mitigation,

Sorry I'm not really aware what L1TF mitigation is.
But

or marshalling all cpus for stop_machine().

I think I faced some time ago. When fixed a noticeable lag in video playback at
the moment of the other domain reboot.

You don't want
to be able to block tasklets, you want them to run as soon as possible.

Should it really be done in the way of breaking scheduling? What if the system
has RT requirements?

--
Sincerely,
Andrii Anisov.