Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/6] XEN scheduling hardening

On Fri, 2019-07-26 at 14:14 +0200, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 26.07.19 13:56, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> > On Fri, 2019-07-26 at 13:37 +0300, Andrii Anisov wrote:
> > >   - How to avoid the absolute top priority of tasklets (what is
> > > obeyed
> > > by all
> > >     schedulers so far). Should idle vcpu be scheduled as the
> > > normal
> > > guest vcpus
> > >     (through queues, priorities, etc)?
> > >
> > Therefore, even if there wouldn't be any subsystem explicitly
> > relying
> > on the current behavior (which should be verified), I think we are
> > at
> > high risk of breaking things, if we change.
>
> We'd break things IMO.
>
> Tasklets are sometimes used to perform async actions which can't be
> done
> in guest vcpu context. Like switching a domain to shadow mode for
> L1TF
> mitigation, or marshalling all cpus for stop_machine(). You don't
> want
> to be able to block tasklets, you want them to run as soon as
> possible.

Yep, stop-machine was precisely what I had in mind, but as Juergen
says, there's more.

As said, I suggest we defer this problem or, in general, we treat it
outside of this series.

> > 2) you move all these activities out of idle, and in some other
> >     context, and you let idle just do the idling. At that point,
> > time
> >     accounted to idle will be only actual idle time, as the time it
> >     took to Xen to do all the other things is now accounted to the
> > new
> >     execution context which is running them.
>
> And here we are coming back to the idea of a "hypervisor domain" I
> suggested about 10 years ago and which was rejected at that time...

It's pretty much what Andrii is proposing already, when he says he'd
consider idle_vcpu an 'hypervisor vcpu'. Or at least a naturale
extension of that.

I don't know what was the occasion for proposing it, and the argument
against it, 10 years ago, so I won't comment on that. :-D

Let's see if something like that end up making sense for this work. I'm
unconvinced, for now, but I'm still looking at and thinking about the
code. :-)

Regards
--
Dario Faggioli, Ph.D