Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Project Community Call June 27th (instead of July 4th): @15:00 UTC Call for agenda items

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019, Rich Persaud wrote:
> > On Jun 26, 2019, at 06:45, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > On 25/06/2019, 21:27, "Rich Persaud" <persaur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> On Jun 25, 2019, at 16:17, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Rich,

> > We had quite a few additions to the agenda. One problem I have is that
> > cryptpad history does not tell me who added an agenda item. We will have to
> > manage this appropriately in the meeting.

> >> While I think raising awareness of the stuck series is a good idea. I
> >> still have some concern regarding the prioritization. Who is going to
> >> consume the result of the discussion? Is it the maintainers?
> >
> >   Anyone who typically answers the question raised by Lars in this thread,
> > presumably a subset of call attendees.
> >
> > This would only work if there was consensus on the priority amongst the key
> > stake-holders. I believe that some limited prioritization has happened in
> > the past, e.g. for some Arm related features for Xen 4.12 where, if I
> > recall correctly you, Stefano and EPAM did this.
> >
> > Maybe we can trial this type of approach for a small number of series
> > first. At the end of the day this is about queue management. Right now,
> > when a new series comes in it ends up in one big queue (xen-devel@). Most
> > complex series have to go through a series of gates (aka code reviews from
> > different people) before they get applied and when a new version comes out
> > the series ends up in the queue again: each reviewer today prioritizes
> > their own review queues, where no-one else sees the prioritisation of other
> > reviewers. Unless there is lot of spare review capacity (which there isn't)
> > we essentially end up in grid-lock, with an ever-growing queue. We seem to
> > have specific additional complexity in Xen because most recent series,
> > typically involve a large number of reviewers.
> >
> > In theory, there are several ways to address this:
> > * Queue management either by a set of agreed criteria which all reviewers
> > follow or through some agreement about which series we actively try and
> > shepherd through the gates
> > * We have an additional issue that in many areas we have multiple
> > reviewers/committers reviewing the same area of code, which also frequently
> > leads to slow-downs, because the multiple reviewers/committers can
> > disagree. We could look at a model where the reviewers/committers agree
> > that one takes the lead on reviewing a specific series. We could try and
> > streamline the ownership structure to create a clearer mapping.
> > * The queues of each reviewer are somehow made public (assuming this is
> > possible) and we hope that the system self-regulates. Not sure this will
> > actually work
> >
> > The big problem I have is that mailing lists really don't lend themselves
> > well to highlight what is going on. We have been grappling with this for
> > years and things are getting worse, not better.
> >
> > In past community calls when we tried to do this with specific series, in
> [...]

Yes, this has been brought up in the past, and the majority (me
included) preferred doing doing reviews on a mailing list. However,
patchworks has been getting better and better and should now be able to
give you a github-like web interface to patch series submissions and
reviews while retaining the mailing list based workflow most still
prefer. I know patchworks has also been used to trigger testing by some.
I don't know the state of the patchworks instance for Xen.