[Xen-devel] How to compile Xen 4.12 with Clang on Linux?

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile Xen 4.12 with Clang (v7.0.0) for a research
project. I see in the README distributed with the Xen 4.12 source code
that Clang/LLVM 3.5 and newer are supported as the compiler for building
Xen. However, when I actually try it, it doesn't work - the configure
script seems to recognize that I've indicated clang as the preferred
compiler, but the actual "make" step seems to ignore it and issue gcc
commands anyway.

I tried a few different command line invocations, all with the same
result (note: my clang is installed from the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories
as "clang-7" and "clang++-7" respectively):

[Attempt #1:]
CC=clang-7 CXX=clang++-7 ./configure --enable-systemd
make -j24 world

[Attempt #2:]
./configure --enable-systemd CC=clang-7 CXX=clang++-7
make -j24 world

[Attempt #3:]
export CC=clang-7
export CXX=clang++-7
make -j24 world

I'm guessing I'm missing a key step here, but I'm not seeing anything in
the documentation (README, wiki, etc.) to indicate what that might be.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Note (in case it matters) that I'm doing this on x86-64 Linux (Linux
Mint 19.1 to be exact, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04). When I searched
online and on the Xen mailing lists for references to building with
clang they mostly seemed to be in the context of BSD or ARM platforms.

Much thanks,
Ethan Johnson

--
Ethan J. Johnson
Computer Science PhD student, Systems group, University of Rochester