[Xen-devel] Intel Atom CPU model (C2750) Woes & Debian

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "John L. Poole" <jlpoole56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 14:36:24 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 29 May 2019 21:36:42 +0000

Referencing the expanding the thread I started several months ago entitled
"Xen 4.12.0-rc Hangs Around masked ExtINT on CPU#", I installed a fresh hard
drive on my Supermicro Atom server class unit and did the following:

per: https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Beginners_Guide#Download_and_Burn_the_Debian_Installer_CD

downloaded: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.9.0-amd64-netinst.iso
burned CD

on boot had to select UEFI ASUS install, the regular ASUS did not work.
console was blank,
screen attached has graphical image light blue, selected graphical install
proceeded with install.
Reboot.
did NOT perform the suggested: apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree

performed:
    apt-get install xen-system-amd64
restart.
startup hangs.

So, I had in November of 2016 installed Debian on this then-new server
using:

     debian-8.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso

and then installed Xen using the above instructions.

What I propose to do now is duplicate my steps of November 2016.

If I succeed in launching DOM0 as I did in November/December 2016,
then we'll know this is a software issue.  If I fail, then I'd conclude
there is a hardware problem.  Recall, though I can install a standard
build of Debian 9.9 and Gentoo and the kernels load, it's only when
I have a Xen modified kernel that the boot-up hangs.

I'm not familiar with Debian other than I have easily installed it
before.  What would help me are some pointers to make sure
the Debian 8.6.0 does not go into auto-update mode and to identify and select
the Xen packages which were the high watermark in November 2016.

John