Re: [Xen-devel] Xen project CI systems and committer workflow

>>> On 18.04.19 at 14:31, <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ## New world
>
> There will be an unified endpoint for committers and bots. Committers and bots
> will have their git trees. Patches are committed to those trees. An automated
> system will get patches from those trees and trigger CI runs.
>
> The system will pick up commits from one of the trees, merge them with master
> and send the merge to CI systems.
>
> For bots, only Gitlab CI build tests will run. Results are sent back to
> xen-devel.

This and ...

> For committers' trees, at first Gitlab CI build tests are run, if the result
> is
> successful, the merge commit is submitted to osstest. If osstest deems the
> merge is good, the merge is pushed (published) to xen.git, otherwise the merge
> is discarded. Test results are sent back to xen-devel.

... this sounds like a lot of extra mail traffic. Already for the osstest
reports I wonder how many people actually look at them (at a
minimum level of detail). The more relatively similar mails, the more
likely it is in my opinion that some relevant one may not be paid
attention to.

> With this system, all published commits should have already passed Gitlab CI
> and osstest tests.

While this is certainly desirable as a goal, is the problem of
occasional build issues really this big, warranting introduction
of further overhead?

> ## Concerns
>
> For individual committers, turnaround time may become longer since you need to
> wait for other trees to be processed.

Together with this larger latency, chances increase that two
committers pick up the same patch or series. With today's
single central instance everyone pushes to it is at least
possible to check whether something has gone in already
before starting to commit things. Iirc whenever I ended up
trying to commit a patch that was already there, it was
because of me not having checked (again), rather than
because of an actual race.

Jan