Re: [Xen-devel] Xen commit 9b0bc91b3 possibly removed too much info from README

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 11:17:48AM +0800, Kevin Buckley wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 18:29, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Sure. I will write a patch.
> >
> > Wei.
>
> Couple of other things I noticed after posting the original observation,
> that might be of use in patching the documentation
>
> 1)
>
> The tools/Makefile has a bare PYTHON EnvVar that isn't seemingly
> replaced by the PYTHON= value supplied to configure, so I also
> needed to specify the
>
> PYTHON=/path/to/interpreter
>
> as an argument to the "make world" as well as to the configure.

The only appearance of PYTHON in tools/Makefile is in the qemu build.
It already has the right form.

I tested the following:

    $ PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 ./configure
    $ make -j8 world 2>&1 | tee log # broken atm unfortunately
    $ make -C tools subdir-all-qemu-xen-dir # the rune which has PYTHON in it

And then I looked for the relevant bits in log:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/local/work/xen.git/tools/../tools/pkg-config${PKG_CONFIG_PATH:+:${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}}
 \
$source/configure --enable-xen --target-list=i386-softmmu \
        --python=python3 \

Not sure which bare PYTHON EnvVar you referred to. Can you clarify?

> 2)
>
> In the top-level INSTALL file, we read
>
> ----8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<----
> SMBIOS_REL_DATE=mm/dd/yyyy
> VGABIOS_REL_DATE="dd Mon yyyy"
>
> During tools build external repos will be cloned into the source tree.
> This variable can be used to point to a different git binary to be used.
> GIT=
>
> During tools build external repos will be cloned into the source tree.
> During stubdom build external packages will be downloaded into the
> source tree. These variables can be used to point to a different
> locations.
> XEN_EXTFILES_URL=
> OVMF_UPSTREAM_URL=
>
> Is that second
>
>    During tools build external repos will be cloned into the source tree.
>
> above the
>
>    During stubdom build

This is a bit xen specific -- we consider stubdom and tools two separate
components inside xen.git because they have their own directories.

That sentence can indeed be simplified. I will submit a patch for that.

Wei.