Re: [Xen-devel] UEFI Boot Order Not Respected

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 03:31:08PM -0600, Tomasz Tuzel wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi,

> We've been running into an issue with boot ordering when using OVMF
> (specifically, with PXE booting). In particular, the issue is the "-boot
> order=ABC" seems to have variable behavior depending on what it receives.
> This is only an issue with UEFI; legacy handles this condition correctly.
> Here's a table documenting several combinations in the HVM guest
> configuration:
[snip]
> My running suspicion
> is that the fw_cfg file is being incorrectly configured. However, I do not

Well, fw_cfg isn't configured at all when running Xen, so I don't think
-boot order=X can work.

I guess, to make -boot order works, we would need to enable fw_cfg in
QEMU and only provide the boot order, then check that OVMF can read it.

With Xen, fw_cfg is used in one case, it's when "direct kernel boot" is
used on HVM, with the legacy BIOS. So I guess that could work as well
for boot order, and hopefully without breacking SeaBIOS.

--
Anthony PERARD