Re: [Xen-devel] Xen ARM smmu questions

On 3/12/19 8:58 AM, jinchen wrote:
Hello xen-devel,

Hello,

I'm reading the code of xen arm smmu in drivers/passthrough/arm, and I have some questions that confused me. I think if the board use SMMU, xen will take charge of it before dom0 boot, and will not pass the node of SMMU to dom0 in device tree, so my question is how dom0 use SMMU? or can dom0 use SMMU? What dom0 use if it wants to use IOMMU?
What about domU? The SMMU could be passed to domU?

Some SMMU are able to provide Stage 1 (Guest VA to Guest PA) and Stage 2 (Guest PA to Host PA) support. In the current configuration, Xen will use the Stage 2 part to isolate device passthrough. Stage 1 is not supported.

If you wanted a guest to use the SMMU, you would either need to provide Stage 1 support (requires HW support) or a PV IOMMU.

Alternatively, you might be able to give the SMMU to Dom0. I haven't explored it so far. Do you have a use case for using the IOMMU in guest?

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall