Re: [Xen-devel] Upstream Dom0 DRM problems regarding swiotlb

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 11:07:22AM -0500, Michael Labriola wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:57 AM Juergen Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The Linux DMA API allows for dma_map_page / dma_map_single calls to
> > > spawn 4k boundaries.  If Xen doesn't support that it will have to bounce
> > > buffer for that case (and get horrible performance).
> > >
> > > But the latter text seems to agree with that.  So what is the actual
> > > problem that started this discussion?
> > >

> > See https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2019-02/threads.html#00818
>
> I believe the actual problem is either:
>
> 1) The radeon/amdgpu drivers are calling ttm_populate_and_map_pages()
> which *should* work on a Xen PV host, but doesn't and needs to be
> fixed.
>
> or
>
> 2) The radeon/amdgpu drivers are calling ttm_populate_and_map_pages()
> which *cannot* work in Xen, and they should go back to calling
> ttm_dma_populate() in that case.

The Nvidia one has this (correct):

1583 #if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_SWIOTLB) && IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_X86)

1584         if (swiotlb_nr_tbl()) {

1585                 return ttm_dma_populate((void *)ttm, dev, ctx);

1586         }

1587 #endif

The Radeon has this - where now it adds 'need_swiotlb':

695 #ifdef CONFIG_SWIOTLB

 696         if (rdev->need_swiotlb && swiotlb_nr_tbl()) {

 697                 return ttm_dma_populate(&gtt->ttm, rdev->dev, ctx);

 698         }

 699 #endif

The problem is fairly simple - the platform _requires_ to use
DMA API.

But the driver's have their own 'need_swiotlb' which ignores the platform
and sets it based on the device's DMA width:

  rdev->need_swiotlb = drm_get_max_iomem() > ((u64)1 << dma_bits);

There should be an extra check to see if the platform requires
to use DMA API.