Re: [Xen-devel] Race condition on device add hanling in xl devd

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 02:23:41PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 02:05:34PM +0100, Roger Pau Monné wrote:

> > > Yes, but on bare metal is so hard to reproduce (like 0.1% or even less
> > > startups), I'm not really sure if that was the same problem, as the
> > > problem doesn't leave that much logs...
> >
> > I'm not very familiar with netback, but I think it's indeed possible
> > for netback to switch to state 2 without having created the vif.
> > Netback switching from state 1 -> 2 seems to be solely controlled by
> > the frontend state (see frontend_changed).
>
> Isn't frontend_changed guaranteed to be called after netback_probe?

Yes, that seems to be correct, in which case the patch is moot. The
otherend watch is only setup after calling the probe driver method in
xenbus_dev_probe.

Do you think you can add some instrumentation code to netback in order
to figure out what's going on? Interesting events would be backend
switching to state 2 and vif creation (xenvif_alloc and the call to
register_netdev AFAICT).

Thanks, Roger.